Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Swine Flu?!?

If you remember back to the fall of 2009, many people were nervous about swine flu; the terrible cold that was actually killing people.  I was initially told that I had contracted swine flu and was given a Z-pac from urgent care.  I took one pill every day for the next 5 days hoping that I would begin feeling better because at this time I was beginning to have aches, pains, and just didn't feel like myself.  However after completing the medication I had actually felt a little worse.  I told my wife: "You know something is just not right with me!"  We went to my doctor, at the time, and they began asking a series of questions, and said okay, we are going to check your liver and kidney functions.  I remember her telling me that they were going to test for some other things, and then she said we are going to test you for Mono, and since you live in Maryland we are going to test you for Lyme.

I waiting for these test desperately, trying to figure out what was really wrong with me.  Its October and this problem had been persisting for weeks now!  The doctor's office called me back and said: "Everything is normal its probably just a little flu.  There are two test that are outstanding but those will probably come back negative as well.  The flu has to run its course so you should be alright in about 5 days."  I thought to myself that it had been well over 5 days so why do I still have this 'flu'.  Do I really have swine flu?  What in the world is going on with me?  You know what your body is supposed to feel like, even when you have a flu, and my body was not feeling like that.  I can't correctly explain it but I was feeling a way that I had never felt before, which is why I KNEW that it was definitely not just a flu.

I remember calling back trying to find out the results of the last two test but they weren't in yet.  Its frustrating when you have a difficulty but you don't have any answers!  They called me back the next day and said: "Mr. Washington you tested negative for Mono, but you tested positive for Lyme."  Yes!!!!  I can't tell you how happy me and my family were to FINALLY find out what was really wrong with me; I knew that it was something.  We were so excited!!!  I asked the doctor: "So what does that mean, I don't know anything about Lyme?"  The doctor said: "Well, there is a medicine you can take one pill twice a day or there is another medicine you can take one pill, three times a day...which one do you want."  I thought to myself, I've never been to medical school, why would I know what medicine to take?  I brushed it off and told her to give me the one that you take three times a day, I wanted to start feeling better as soon as possible!

Finally, I would be on the road to recovery...Or so I thought. I took that medicine for a week, and at the end of that week, I could NOT walk...My world started to get real crazy....

4 comments:

  1. it makes me upset to know that you wont be in church for a while.. i really want for you to get better.. im still praying for you. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the blog so far, big little brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noah I really enjoy reading your blog! I'm learning about a disease that I know nothing about. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete