Saturday, November 19, 2011

Maturity

One of the many things I have learned on my journey is that many of us have grown up in cultures that will not admit it, but they encourage complacency.  Why do you do what you do?  Why do you believe what you believe?  Can you really say that you stand on or for something, or do you just accept what others have told you to believe?

For some reason, we can grow comfortable where we are...especially when we look at other people!  We will say things like: "I don't do what they do"  or "At least I go to church", when the reality is another person's position in God has nothing to do with me.

I have realized my immaturity when I attend churches and sit there thinking..."This person isn't preaching about anything....or Why are they singing....or I should have gone to another church so I can worship."  Does this sound familiar?  I'm not taking personal responsibility away from ministers who are lazy with their presentations, however I am wondering if most of our experiences with God are completely based off of what is going on around us?  We only want to lift hands if the praise team is great?  We will only stand up during a sermon when the preacher is saying something we want to hear?  We love to change everything but the most important thing...US?!?

I challenge you today, this sabbath day to ask God to grow you in some way.  If we focus on ourselves more than other people and things then maybe we will actually see that our view is much clearer! Are you growing and maturing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment