Monday, December 12, 2011

Tim Tebow

Over the last couple of weeks I, like many of you have become a fan of the Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.  I must admit that I, though being a Washington Redskins fan, have jumped on the Tim Tebow bandwagon, rooting as he continues to come back and surprise fans, commentators, and football players around the country.  Because I am a Christian, I smile when I see him give thanks to God, through verbal gestures and after-game interviews.  It's exciting to see someone who professes to be a Christian, not be ashamed to acknowledge Him as being a huge part of his life.  I am in no position to judge, but I do know that there are many of us who may thank God publicly but privately our lives are far from being Christian.  However, from my vantage point Tebow's spirit seems to show that he really does have a relationship with God. I love the fact that he is not ashamed to thank God in public!

What really intrigues me however about Tebow is not really his profession of Christ.  What I am intrigued about is his desire to win!  He finds a way!  As you watch games, I am sure there are points in the game where you say: "I guess he will loose this one", and yet when the zeros appear on the clock you see him with him hands in the air, and hugging his teammates.  After yesterday's win, I realized what Tim Tebow has realized, and that is you have to get in the habit of fighting to win!  A win WILL NOT happen just because you want it to, YOU have to fight for it.

It was in realizing this that helped me understand why most of us are ashamed to declare the God we profess to know...we don't really know Him AND we are comfortable with loosing!  As a Washington Redskins fan, I really can't understand how players can get in the frustrating habit of continuous loosing! I'm not sure what goes on behind the cameras and off of the field, but...nobody says: "I'm tired of loosing  every week, lets do something different."  Or maybe they do say that?  But why is it that someone who is not even a textbook NFL quarterback winning?  Because he has learned that wins don't automatically happen!  You have to fight for them!

Now while some of you are laughing at my team, the Washington Redskins, don't be so hasty...because some of you have gotten in the habit of loosing in your spiritual life!  You are accustomed to loosing so much that you are jealous when you see other people winning and the only reason you think they are winning is because they are cheating.  You are satisfied with not talking to God, and not fellowshipping with believers, and not speaking to others about Him!

What's so great about God though, is that you don't have to wait for another year to win!  Because of some teams records, they won't make the playoffs and have to wait until next year to try again; but with God, every day is another opportunity to win!  Don't you want to start winning today?

2 Corinthians 2:14, tells us that WITH God, we always win!!!

3 comments:

  1. Dude!! I've had a Tim Tebow blog in my head, but I have not written yet. Your point is well taken. I've gotten used to being a procrastinator. I want to win. It's time to start fighting . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouts out to that young man, Tebow is winning and aside from the coverage I have been enjoying it. I hope they go to the playoffs and make some noise.

    ReplyDelete