Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Why I Quit Church, Part 2

As promised I wanted to post the second part of the topic on why people are leaving church.  In my world I meet many people who are just disinterested in church for a number of reasons today.  I want to thank my friend Damien "Chip" Dizard for being willing to share in my blog!




Many children grow up forced to attend church and it's not a pleasurable experience.  You know the line, "children should be seen and not heard” most churches give 10 to 15 minutes of a children's story and then expect children not to move, eat or do anything the entire time.  I find that utterly ridiculous.  That's why my family attends the church we do now.  Not because we are in love with the preaching, fellowship or even the facilities. Our children look forward to attending church and they actually learn something once they leave.   I didn't have this opportunity growing up and my wife and I wanted to give our children the best chance for success. Does that mean they won't get tired of church? Sure they may, but their childhood memories of church should be one of engagement activity and learning.

I have also heard stories of many families who never missed church but missed other important engagements for their children. Basketball games, musical recitals and more, but church, God's house is never put on the back burner. Families can argue all week long, but they will sit next to each other smiling and holding hands in church.

Have you ever felt guilty for not attending church?  More and people especially younger Seventh-day Adventists aren't attending church regularly.  I was talking with a friend recently whose sister who grew up in church who doesn’t attend or watch it online either. I think the story is similar to someone you know.  It's an epidemic that spreads deep and wide. You may know a person who is guilted into attending church because they feel inadequate and once they feel better they go right back and do the same thing.

James 1:23-24 says "Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like."

This text hit me because it is just foolish.  God doesn't take attendance, but he knows when you listen to the word and don't follow through.

How can you follow through with God today?  Tell us about your church attendance experience.  Leave in the comments below.

Chip Dizárd is a Christian, tech expert, author and blogger. He is passionate about his family and reaching people for Christ. His tech blogs are at chipdizard.com.


4 comments:

  1. appreciate the sharing; i don't attend church every week b/c my mom often spoils us n picks the older kids up for sabbath school..they love to go and we hate to have them miss it, but the younger two, now toddlers, just really can't be in church from 9:15 - 2pm..they're really not havin it n neither are we..lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, i should say, pregnancy made me miss more church in 1 year than i'd probably missed altogether my entire life before that and it. was. AWESOME for growth..just being still and knowing He is God, instead of busying myself with attending out of habit.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete