Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Would you be missed?

In my world I had to learn to look the possibility of death in the face while experiencing my difficult bout with Lyme Disease.  As I struggled with my mortality I had to grabble with these difficult questions:  If I died would I be missed?  What difference had I made on the earth?  How many lives did I change?  While I still wrestle with these questions in my world, I would like to throw the same questions back to you.  Whose life are you changing for the better?  What positive changes are you making on the earth?  If you were to die, would you be missed?
I am noticing that our world is becoming more filled with people who are making changes in people's life, but those changes aren't for the better.  We are (society is) creating by music and media killers, rapists, angry fathers, and bitter mothers.  We are through reality television, certain music, and mainstream television; creating people who no longer seek positive change in the world, but are content to just get a new car, some new tennis shoes, and content with existing but not really living.

The mentalities of the men and women such as Martin L. King Jr., Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela, Barbara Jordan, Shirley Chisholm, etc are fleeting!  The positive messages about hope and encouragement about oneself are being replaced by expletives and calling people out of their name.  Helping people become what they were created to be has been replaced for keeping people beneath the level where God intended for them to be.

What are you doing now that is having an impact on the life of someone else?  Are you just marking time, or is time being filled with you pouring into someone else's life.  Our society has become incredibly selfish in that, we don't see the need anymore to look for people to pour in to!  Would people miss you if you were gone?  Make you life count for something more than just taking up space...Your life should have so much meaning that people wouldn't just be sad by your death but are sad by the absence of your presence!   Would you be missed?
  

2 comments:

  1. when my doc found a lump, the medical (and spiritual, and emotional) process i went through caused me to ponder some of these same things, but my family weighed more heavily than any other legacy i could even contemplate. i think considering my own mortality struck an old, familiar chord from when i was a lot more depressed about life and would spend a great deal of time wondering what not being alive would mean for those around.

    now i have such a zeal for life, i've not recntly questioned if i'd be missed, but do often question if i'd be finished. like, will i have completed the work God designed for me, or will He be passing it to someone else b/c i wasn't faithful. i wanna be faithful more than i wanna be missed. thx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have mercy!!! Really??!!?!?!? I def feel you on that!!!

    ReplyDelete